Job Opportunity: Stable Isotope Laboratory Technician
Support Staff Employment Opportunity
Stable Isotope Laboratory Technician II
Department of Biology: Canadian Rivers Institute UNB Fredericton
Competition #: #044-16.17 Closing Date: July 8, 2016 4:00PM
Employment Group: P.T.S.U. Salary or Rate: $35,828 - $44,824 Per Annum
Employment Date:(tentative) As soon as possible Hours per Week: Full-Time (36.25 HPW)
Position Length:(tentative) 1 Year Term Funding: External Funding
Reporting to the Technical Manager and Lab Manager, the Isotope Lab Technician II will be responsible for the technical operation and maintenance of equipment in the Stable Isotopes in Nature Laboratory (SINLAB). The SINLAB is part of the Canadian Rivers Institute in the Biology Department. It is one of the few Isotope labs in Canada with an ecological focus. In addition to our support of a dynamic research team at UNB, we serve an international clientele of researchers working in terrestrial, marine and freshwater ecosystems. The SINLAB uses Continuous Flow Isotope Mass Spectrometry (CFIRMS) technology to analyze a variety of organic samples for ratios of carbon (13C/12C), nitrogen (15N/14N), hydrogen (2H,1H) oxygen (18O/16O), sulphur (34S/32S) isotopes; carbonate analysis is also being pursued.
- Maintain and operate all Stable Isotope equipment (Delta Plus Mass Spectrometer, Delta Plus XP Mass Spectrometer, Delta V Mass Spectrometer, NA1500 Elemental Analyzer, NC2500 Elemental Analyzer, TC/EA Elemental Analyzer, 4010 Elemental Analyzer, Gas Bench II with GC PAL, Ball Mill grinder and Sartorious Microbalance).
- Conduct analytical pre-treatment of samples (lipid extractions &acid washing, etc.).
- Prepare samples for analysis (drying, grinding and weighing samples).
- Maintain inventory of all incoming samples using EXCEL. This included confirming the receipt of samples and all required services plus coding and verifying the samples submitted.
- Maintain chemical inventory on CHEMATIX.
- Minimum BSc (Honours) in Biology or Chemistry.
- Experience with IRMS is an asset.
- Analytical laboratory experience.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word is required.
- Knowledge of Isodat NT and Chematix is an asset.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Basic First Aid and CPR plus WHMIS.
** To be given consideration for this competition, you must demonstrate how, when and where you acquired the requirements outlined for this position. Your resume must present education and work experience in chronological order, with work experience detailed in both months and years, and whether it was part-time or full-time**
For more information, please contact:
Human Resources Room 102
Physics & Admin. Building
UNB Saint John
Financial & Admin. Services
Room 114/115, Oland Hall
We thank all applicants for their interest but wish to advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Applications will be accepted ONLY until the end of regular business hours on the closing date.
THE UNIVERSITY OF NEW BRUNSWICK IS COMMITTED TO THE PRINCIPLE OF EMPLOYMENT EQUITY