Job opportunity in CRI’s Stable Isotopes in Nature Laboratory
Support Staff Employment Opportunity
Stable Isotope Technical Manager
Canadian Rivers Institute, Department of Biology UNB Fredericton
The Stable Isotopes in Nature Laboratory (SINLAB) analyses stable isotope ratios of C, N, H, O and S to answer ecological questions for researchers within the university and for clients around the globe. We are currently seeking a suitably qualified and dynamic individual for the position of Technical Manager. Reporting to the Director of the SINLAB, the Technical Manager is responsible for overseeing the daily operation and maintenance of all Stable Isotope equipment. This includes all technical decisions relating to the mass spectrometry equipment, ensuring lab protocols meet the highest international standards and supervising 2 lab technicians. For more details on the SINLAB please visit http://www.unb.ca/research/institutes/cri/sinlab/index.html.
- Maintain and operate all equipment in the SINLAB: Delta Plus, Delta Plus XP and Delta Plus V Mass Spectrometers; NC2500, TC/EA and NA1500 Elemental Analyzers; and GasBench II
- Directly supervise 2 lab technicians.
- Ensure that strict quality control measures are achieved on a regular basis.
- Develop and identify new analytical standard materials as required
- Develop new lab protocols as required or necessary based on information available within the scientific community.
- Maintain and catalogue chemical inventory for the SINLAB using CHEMTIX.
- Order and purchase lab supplies (chemicals, gases, equipment).
- Dispose of chemical waste in accordance to UNB Hazardous waste disposal protocol.
- Maintain the standards inventory and develop new working lab standards as needed.
- Collect monthly precipitation and river water samples as part of IAEA GNIP/GNIR program.
- Minimum MSc. in Biology or Chemistry or Geochemistry or equivalent experience.
- Experience with Mass Spectrometry, preferably isotope ratio mass spectrometry (IRMS).
- Experience with Elemental Analyzers (EA) and GasBench.
- Analytical laboratory experience.
- Working knowledge of the following software: Isodat (or equivalent), Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
Competition #: #016-16.17
Closing Date: June 1, 2016 4:00PM
Employment Group: P.T.S.U. Salary or Rate: $39,853 - $49,820 Per Annum
Employment Date:(tentative) As soon as possible Hours per Week: Full-Time (36.25 HPW)
Position Length:(tentative) 2 Year Term Funding: External Funding
** To be given consideration for this competition, you must demonstrate how, when and where you acquired the requirements outlined for this position. Your resume must present education and work experience in chronological order, with work experience detailed in both months and years, and whether it was part-time or full-time**
For more information, please contact:
Human Resources Room 102
Physics & Admin. Building
UNB Saint John
Financial & Admin. Services
Room 114/115, Oland Hall