Aquatic Technician: Canadian Rivers Institute, Department of Biology, University of New Brunswick
COMPETITION #: #142-16.17
CLOSING DATE: March 29, 2017 4:30pm
EMPLOYMENT GROUP: P.T.S.U.
SALARY OR RATE: $35,858 - $44,824 Per Annum
EMPLOYMENT DATE (Tentative): As soon as possible
APPOINTMENT TYPE & HOURS OF WORK: Full-Time (36.25 HPW)
1 Year Term With the possibility of extension
Assist with field programs including graduate students and staff needs of the CAST project (www.castforsalmon.com). The incumbent reports to the Science Coordinator of the project.
- Assist in the field research activities of graduate students, research assistants, post-docs.
- Assist with maintenance of all field and laboratory equipment of the CAST team, including field trucks, snowmobiles, four-wheelers etc.
- Assist with managing UNB’s Catamaran Brook Research Station.
- Conduct and assist with annual electrofishing surveys on the Miramichi River.
- Conduct and assist fish tracking surveys using radio- and acoustic telemetry and Passive Integrated Transponder Technology.
- Maintain and manage various data bases for research data collections (e.g. fish, and associated genetic data, species distribution lists, telemetry observations).
- Manage and participate in analysis of acoustic sonar data.
- Attend various meetings with UNB partners (e.g., NGOs, government agencies) as the representative of the CAST team.
- Minimum BSc or equivalent. Minimum 1-3 years in applied fisheries and/or aquatic sciences.
- Demonstrated experience with truck and trailering, boating, strong swimmer and with experience sampling fish with various gear.
- Demonstrated experience with field equipment including backpack electrofisher, GPS, flowtrackers, fish telemetry equipment.
- Field and laboratory safety training certifications are required.
- Excellent knowledge of data recording and input.
- Safety consciousness.
** To be given consideration for this competition, you must demonstrate how, when and where you acquired the requirements outlined for this position. Your resume must present education and work experience in chronological order, with work experience detailed in both months and years, and whether it was part-time or full-time**
THE UNIVERSITY OF NEW BRUNSWICK IS COMMITTED TO THE PRINCIPLE OF EMPLOYMENT EQUITY
We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.APPLICATIONS are accepted until 4:30PM on the closing date listed above.